Saturday, 21 March 2015

5 Years at a Time




Where does the time go.  A friend of mine once told me to think of life in 5 year blocks.  She said that  she was always amazed .... to think of where she was today, and then reflect on where she was 5 years ago.  Well, 5 years ago today, I was arriving home from my first bike camp in South Carolina.  I was approximately 24 years of age.  OK that's a lie.  I was a bit older.  I stayed in Cabin 12 at Table Rock State Park.  And I knew next to nothing about cycling at that time.  I purchased a Cannondale Road bike specifically for that camp.  And what a piece of garbage that bike was.  I am not, by any means, discrediting Cannondale.  I have seen some Cannondale beauties.  Just not the particular model I had selected at that time.

Halfway to camp, I realized that I had forgot to pack my cycling jerseys.  I had none, whatsoever.  Not a one.  Nodda.  Zip, zero, zilch.  I had no idea what cold weather cycling gear even was.  Toe covers, arm and knee warmers, base layers, wool socks  .... not in my vocabulary.  Cycling gloves.  I didn't own a pair.  And nutrition?  What about nutrition.  You ate a big breakfast and took a bottle of water.  Right?  Gels?  Why would you take hair gel out for a spin?  I thought that a long ride to the death was about 60km's.  I thought that tacking on an extra 50km's of climbing would be no big deal.  Switchbacks, descents, pelotons, roadies, sucking wheel ... WHAT????  Sprint and Olympic triathlons were my thing.  I thought I was a hard core bad ass cyclist.  I HAD NO IDEA.

Fast forward.  5 years later.  I have a TT bike worth as much as a small car.  I have an inexpensive road bike.  But I love it.  I have a room full of wheels, bike parts, cycling gear, a computrainer, a bike rack.  You name it.  You can sell a triathlete anything if you didn't already know that.  I still don't claim to know much more than about one percent of everything cycling.  The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.  But I have come a long way.  I would not classify myself as a competitive roadie.  A recreational roadie with a competitive spirit???  Sure.  But cycling is relative.  I am a 44 year old woman/(with childlike tendencies from time to time).  I am an age group triathlete with full time employment.  I have a house and a dog.  Triathlon is my hobby, not my livelihood.  Some may claim it is my obsession.  That is a strong possibility.

5 years ago, my goal time for the 10km climb at Caesars Head was 45 minutes.  I thought Olympic distance triathlons were insanely long and gruelling.  And I thought that George Hincapie was a legend I would likely never meet.

5 years later:  42:17 on Caesars Head.





 I will complete my 5th half Ironman in Spain in May, and my 6th in Austria in August.  I will complete my 3rd Ironman in Hawaii in October.  And last week, George Hincapie left a voice message on my cell phone.  Hello.  That's possibly my favourite thing right there.

 In January, I received a mass e-email from Hincapie Sportswear.  They were looking for applicants for their Ride Hincapie Ambassador Program.  I thought my chances of being part of the Hincapie Team were approximately nil, but I certainly was not going to let the opportunity pass me by.  George Hincapie was a domestique:  "A road bicycle racer who works for the benefit of his team and leader."  My definition:  "Warrior.  Silent hero.  Team player and class act."  In 2009, he finished the final four stages of the Tour de France with a broken collarbone.   Need I say more?   His accomplishments are longer than my blog.  And ask anyone.  Hincapie Sportswear cycling gear is simply awesome.  All of it.  I have, over the years, bought one of everything.  

So I tapped into my creative side and counted on some friends, and my video application came to life:




I am not sure why my lips froze in that position, or why I sound like I was an actress in the movie, "Fargo".  Nonetheless, we had a blast making this video and I am truly honoured and privileged to have been selected as a Ride Hincapie Ambassador.

In the last 5 years I have made friendships that will last a lifetime.  It's funny how mutual suffering and shared experiences can bind people together and cement relationships.  I am thankful for all of the blessings in my life, and I can't wait to see what the next 5 years will bring.  Life is an adventure.







7 comments:

  1. Another great cycling story...if I could only achieve half of what you do, sounds like you have a very hectic competitive season ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rudy!!! You are equally as busy!!! That is for sure!!!

      Delete
  2. Loved your article and video! I'm a big fan of Big George, Hincapie Sportswear, triathlons, and cycling too. Check out George's results at the 2013 UWC Triathlon in the Bahamas. His results blows me away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your article and video! I'm a big fan of Big George, Hincapie Sportswear, triathlons, and cycling too. Check out George's results at the 2013 UWC Triathlon in the Bahamas. His results blows me away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you!!!! That's crazy! I had no idea he had ever done a triathlon! I love it!!!!

      Delete
  4. Love your Blog Jenn. I could never do a triathalon but have a great deal of respect for anyone who shows that level of discipline and passion for any thing in life. Good luck with all your events this year. I'm jealous because of the travelling aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Carrie! I know you love the travel pics. I will try to get you some good ones! I love your travel pics as well btw!!!

    ReplyDelete