Thursday, 29 January 2015

January 30, 2015

I have two fears in life.  The first is flying.  Anyone who has travelled with me knows I can be a handful on the plane.  I have gotten much better over the years, but I will never love it.  I find the take-off, landing, and any turning of the plane highly offensive and disturbing.

My second fear is injury.  Sadly, if you participate in any sport long enough, injury is inevitable.  Over the years, some of my notables have included, but are not limited to, the following:

Sprained ankes, torn ligaments, torn plantar fascia, plantar fasciitis, broken hand, perforated ear drum, broken orbital bone, ongoing neck injuries (a marked improvement here since my boxing retirement), scratched cornea, IT Band issues, 3 stress fractures and achilles tendinitis.  Lost toenails do not count as  sports injuries.  FYI.

2014 was a complete gong show.  I had a fantastic race schedule planned and paid for.  My first big trip was going to be Challenge St. Andrews in New Brunswick.  Approximately a week before my departure date, I was told that I had a stress injury to my right talus.  The doctor said that additional testing could confirm his diagnosis.  I took him up on the "additional testing" only to find that my left talus was in the same boat.   Needless to say, I cancelled the trip and lost my first of several race entry fees that had been paid in full.  My summer holidays began three days after I got this diagnosis.

I spent the next few weeks sitting on the couch, staring out the window, and hobbling around the neighbourhood with the dog.  Finally, my coach, Chris Helwig, called to inform me that the pity party was officially over.  I was told to get in the pool and get on my bike.  I told Coach Chris where he could go as well.  I considered packing it in and selling the bikes.  (OK I exaggerate.  I was never going to sell the bikes.)   But then something changed and I started to ride.  And ride.  And ride.  And pool run.  And swim.  And ride some more.  In the end, these injuries were a blessing in disguise.  I developed a deeper love of cycling.  I had many 160+ km rides, and several rides over the 200km mark.  I learned that a long run of 9km can get you through a half Ironman.  I learned that a long run of 23kms (and a truck load of pool runs) can get you through an Ironman.  CAUTION ... I don't recommend it.  Especially if you have picked an Ironman where the run course is predominantly on concrete.  But the mind is powerful thing.

Anyways, I am so pleased to report that several weeks ago,  I was kicked out of physiotherapy due to a clean bill of health.  Although I think that Martin Chisholm is a fantastic physiotherapist, I hope never to see him again.  Unless, of course, it's on a run course.  I have vowed to follow Marty's advice, and I am currently rotating through some shoes.  I'm #keepinitfresh.  (Still don't get the hashtag)  I gave my mom a pair that didn't feel quite right for Christmas.  I know what you're thinking.  But I didn't even have her name this year and the shoes cost $200.  I may add some Newton's to the equation as well.  I am undecided .....





So with reflection on 2014, I decided that the name of my blog would be "Where the Fight is Won." My former teammates all know exactly where the fight is won.  It is one of my all time favourite quotes:

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights."  Muhammad Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment